Featured Post

75 Christians Who Died in 2018

In Memoriam (Listed by Date of Death) Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.  Blessed indeed, that they may rest from t...

Monday, July 25, 2011

Unanswered Prayers

Grace Sight #6 is Unanswered Prayers.

Unanswered Prayers. Yes they really are a blessing. I've been thinking about prayer and how sometimes prayers go unanswered.   As I thought on this subject I listened to some country music.

Garth Brooks wrote a song in 1990 called Unanswered Prayers.   While Brooks is certainly not a reliable theologian, when I hear the overall message of this song I think of the sovereignty of God and how amazing it is that God loves us enough to not answer all our prayers.  I am reminded that he can see the future we cannot see.  The words to the the astute refrain are:

Sometimes I thank God, for unanswered prayers
Remember when you’re talkin’ to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn’t answer doesn’t mean he don’t care
Some of God’s greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers.



Jesus said these words, among many, on the subject of prayer.

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (John 15:7, ESV)

There are two things John 15:7 shows us about how we are able to believe we will receive whatever we ask.   First, we must abide in Christ and second, Christ's words must abide in us.   If like me you think you still aren't abiding like that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, then pray more and accept unanswered prayers as an inevitable byproduct of the fact that we are sinners prone to put self over Christ at times.

In John Calvin's Commentary on John for this verse (John 15:7), he states the following on this passage.  
When he promises that he will grant whatever we wish, he does not give us leave to form wishes according to our own fancy. God would do what was ill fitted to promote our welfare, if he were so indulgent and so ready to yield to us; for we know well that men often indulge in foolish and extravagant desires. But here he limits the wishes of his people to the rule of praying in a right manner, and that rule subjects, to the good pleasure of God, all our affections. This is confirmed by the connection in which the words stand; for he means that his people will or desire not riches, or honors, or any thing of that nature, which the flesh foolishly desires, but the vital sap of the Holy Spirit, Which enables them to bear fruit. 
If we are unable to understand unanswered prayers it could be because we don't really comprehend our own sinfulness.  If we look carefully at John 15:7 we will find it is not about getting God to answer all our prayers.  We get prayer grossly wrong when we see it as a mechanism to get something from God.  Like many concepts, this is partly right. The purpose of prayer is to get something from God, it's to get God himself through abiding in his perfect son, Jesus Christ.  

Just as I trust God to make the arrangements for the next stage of my eternal life, I know he alone knows best for my life on earth. And prayer should never be about me. God has matchless wisdom and infinite power that I am not worthy to behold. I'm not bothered by unanswered prayers. What amazes me more than anything else is that God answers any of my prayers at all.


1 comment:

  1. For every time I bear someone bring up sins, or hidden sins in relation to unanswered prayers, I'd like to know why Jesus' prayer for the cup to pass was not answered, was it due to secret sins? Or Abraham waiting 25 years for a son? Or Paul's thorn in the flesh?

    ReplyDelete