Featured Post

75 Christians Who Died in 2018

In Memoriam (Listed by Date of Death) Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.  Blessed indeed, that they may rest from t...

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Baptism

Grace Sight #20 is My Son's Baptism.

Last Sunday my special needs son Jonathan was baptized. I hope and pray as he grows older God will help him to someday embrace the faith represented in his baptism and affirm it for all eternity. The following is the letter I wrote and read prior to the baptism. Please note that I have intentionally not mentioned what church Jonathan was baptized in because my belief is that we are baptized not into a church but as part of the Christian faith that includes many churches who have some differences in rituals and expressions.

December 11, 2011

Dear Jonathan,

As you are baptized today we want you to know that we love you so much but our love is so small compared to how much your heavenly Father loves you and wants you by his side for all eternity.  All of our dreams for your life are fulfilled in this–that you would come to know the grace of having Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and that you would give your time, talents, and treasures to God in this life.  May you experience personally the words of faith that you are already singing along with the Cedarmont Bible songs.

We know that sometimes life is complicated and difficult for you because of your autism.  Always remember that you are different, not less. If there are ever times in your unknown future when you wish you did not have autism, then hold on to the truth that the sovereign God made you who you are for a reason.  One never knows how our life impacts others. We know that in your short life of 7 years you have already taught us so much about patience, humility, vigilance, hope, and trust in the sovereign God.

The Scripture verse we hope you hold fast in your heart is 2 Corinthians 12:9:  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment